Archive for the ‘GTK+’ Category
After exploring new territory with sharing and non-destructive editing over the last two releases, it was time for some introspection. We looked at some of the long-standing problems within our existing feature set and tried to iron out a few of them.
It was high time that we overhauled our old GtkIconView-based overview grids. Their inability to reflow the thumbnails leads to a an ugly vertical gutter of empty space unless the window is just the right size. The other problem was performance. GtkIconView gets extremely slow when the icons are updated, which usually happens when content is detected for the first time and start getting thumbnailed.
Fixing this has been a recurrent theme in Photos since the middle of the previous development cycle. The end goal was to use a GtkFlowBox-based grid, but it involved a lot more work than replacing one user interface component with another.
Too many things relied on the existence of a GtkTreeModel, and had to be ported to our custom GListModel implementation before we could achieve any user-visible improvement. Once all those yaks had been shaved, we finally started working on the widget at the Core Apps Hackfest last year.
Anyway, I am happy that all that effort has to come fruition now.
Closely related to our overview grids are the thumbnails inside them. Photos has perpetually suffered from GIO’s inability to let an application specifically request a high resolution thumbnail. While that is definitely a fixable problem, the fact that we store our edits non-destructively as serialized GEGL graphs makes it very hard to use the desktop-wide infrastructure for thumbnails. One cannot expect a generic thumbnailer to interpret the edits and apply them to the original image because their representation will vary greatly from one application to another. That led to the other problem where the thumbnails wouldn’t reflect the edited state of an image.
Therefore, starting from version 3.24.0, Photos has its own out-of-process thumbnailer and a separate thumbnail cache. They ensure that the thumbnails are of a suitably high resolution, and the edited state of an image is never ignored.
Exposure and Blacks
Personally, I have been a heavy user of Darktable’s exposure and blacks adjustment tool, and I really missed something like that in GNOME Photos. Ultimately, at this year’s WilberWeek I fixed gegl:exposure to imitate its Darktable counterpart, and exposed it as a tool in Photos. I am happy with the outcome and I have so far enjoyed dogfooding this little addition.
I spent last weekend at the Core Apps Hackfest in Berlin. The agenda was to work on GNOME’s core applications: Documents, Files, Music, Photos, Videos, Usage, etc.; to raise their overall standard and to make them push beyond the limits of the framework. There were 19 of us and among us we covered a wide range of modules and areas of expertise.
I spent most of my time on the plumbing necessary for Documents and Photos to use GtkFlowBox and GtkListBox. The innards of Photos had already been overhauled to reduce its dependency on GtkTreeModel. Going into the hackfest we were sorely lacking a widget that had all the bells and whistles we need — the idiomatic GNOME 3 selection mode, and seamlessly switching between a list and grid view. So, this is where I decided to focus my energy. As a result, we now have a work-in-progress GdMainBox widget in libgd to replace the old GtkIconView/GtkTreeView-based GdMainView.
In fact, GtkListBox and GtkFlowBox was a recurring theme at the hackfest. Carlos Soriano and Georges were working on using them in Files, and whenever anybody uses them in a non-trivial manner there is the inevitable discussion about performance. Good thing that Benjamin was around. He spent the better part of a tram ride and more than an hour at the whiteboard, sketching out a strategy to make GtkListBox more efficient than it is today.
Like last year, Øyvind joined us. We talked about GEGL, and I finally saw the new GIMP in action. I rarely use GIMP, and I am not sure I have ever built it from source, but I have been reading its sources on a semi-regular basis for almost a year now. It was good to finally address this aberration. Øyvind had with him a cheap hand-held DLNA media renderer that was getting stuck when trying to render more than one image with dleyna-render and Photos. Zeeshan helped me poke at it, but unfortunately we didn’t get anywhere.
Other than that, Petr Stetka impressed everyone with his progress on the new Usage application. Georges refreshed his patches to implement the new Online Accounts Settings panel, Carlos Garnacho helped me with GtkGesture, and I reviewed various patches and branches that had been on my list for a while.