A volume monitor is a D-Bus session service that uses the org.gtk.Private namespace (eg., org.gtk.Private.MTPVolumeMonitor, org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor, etc.), has an entry in /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors/, and exposes your disk partitions, iOS devices, MTP or PTP devices as volumes. These volumes eventually show up on the GTK+ places sidebar.
We wrote a volume monitor which exposes your online file storage as a volume. It listens to GNOME Online Accounts and when it notices an account that implements the GoaFiles interface it exposes it as a volume.
To unlock support for, say, Google Drive or SkyDrive we would first need to implement the protocol as a GVfs backend, and then add the GoaFiles interface to the corresponding GoaObject.
After a year of development, I am happy to announce GNOME Photos 3.8.0. This completes the last unfinished GNOME 3.8 feature – Photos is now the latest in the set of Finding & Reminding applications for GNOME 3.
Even though it is a preview in GNOME 3.8, Photos already has a nice set of well-rounded features.
- Albums – create, add to, remove from and delete albums
- Favorites – mark and unmark items as favorites
- Printing, setting background and properties, etc.
With the basics now in place, we are going to start filling in some of the gaps during the 3.9.x/3.10 cycle.
- Cloud integration – starting with Flickr and Facebook
- Search – including a search provider for GNOME Shell
It is still snowing in Brno, but there is no reason to believe that summer is far away. So, please go ahead and start submitting your talks for this year’s GUADEC.
This year’s conference will focus on:
- Design of the core user experience (core applications, shell, toolkit)
- Design of the developer experience (tools, documentation, services)
- Integration and extension of the operating system plumbings into the core UX
- Application development and deployment
- Integration of web technologies into the GNOME user experience
- Improving the user experience on different form factors
- Outreach to new contributors
- Organization and governance of the project
I am sure you have a lot of cool things to talk about and the deadline is barely three weeks away on the 27th of April. So, hurry up and send those talks our way. We hope to see you in Brno in August.
Many thanks to Matthew Barnes for making the required adjustments in Evolution Data Server and making sure that it landed in time for the 3.8.0 release later this month.